Sunday, September 7, 2008

The "Page"

Megan's Heart transplant pager went off about 10:30 a.m. on September 2, 2008. Emily the transplant coordinator asked me if they could tell her before I got back to the hospital to begin the blood workup... How exciting,,, Driving to the clinic with the emegancy flashers on... Making sure we had our T-Shirts made,(Yellow with the words Be a donor, give someone your heart...on the back a picture of her and the words *Like me*) Dr. Kourtes went to harvest the new heart
Megan wanted to spend most of her time holding Teagan and watching his smile... they bonded very deeply..Finally, they took her to the OR at 7:oo p.m Dr. Kaza was the surgeon that performed the transplant....Megan went to sleep at 7:20 and the first chest incision was at 8:10 the new heart began to beat at 9:55 p.m. Megan was in the PICU and I got to see her at 1:30 a.m September 3, 2008... Up hill from then on..... to be continued tomorrow and up to date. Her mom Paula

3 comments:

2ndHeartBeat said...

Megan (and family),

Hang in there .... things will get better. As a fellow heart recipient, I'm going to add you as a favorite "read" on my web site ... www.2ndHeartBeat.com

I know there will be some bumps in the road.

Hang in there.

DAP

Amy Finnegan {BookshopTalk.com} said...

WONDERFUL to get an update about Megan!!

I've been checking her blog daily!! Can't wait to hear more on her progress :)

The Andersens said...

I truly am so elated that Megan got her heart. And even more thrilled that she is recovering so well and so quickly. She is so strong. What a miracle and inspiration. Thanks for keeping us updated!!
We are constantly praying!
Love Alysia, Topher and Grace Andersen